How To Track Your Vehicle Using GPS Trackers?
Install a GPS tracking device for each vehicle resource you want to track. The signals are sent from satellite to the receiver. receiver calculates the distance between itself the satellites in real-time. A report is created showing the distance or movement of the vehicle, coordinates, and speed.
Did you know that on average, every American uses GPS at least once a day? From tracking that Amazon package to finding a bus route to the library, GPS tracking has become an indispensable part of our daily lives. Tracking your vehicles is one of the most vital aspects of GPS tracking technology.
Why? Because benefits!
- You can find better and faster routes, thereby saving time, money, and fuel.
- You can ensure that your car, bike, or any other vehicle is exactly where you left it.
- In public parking areas, you can spot your vehicle faster.
- You get alerts if your vehicle is towed, or moved.
- And you can recover it quickly if it’s stolen – even before the thieves have had a chance to dismantle it and sell the parts.
- You might get a discounted premium on insurance.
Added advantage: If you get a comprehensive tracking solution, you can improve your driving, or ensure that your car is being driven safely. You can also keep up with its maintenance and elongate its life.
With the help of GPS, you can monitor your vehicle 24/7 and get updates wherever any unwanted activity is deducted. But before we start with how to use a GPS tracker for a vehicle, let us take a quick look at what a GPS is?
How To Track Your Vehicle Using GPS Trackers? 2022
GPS stands for Global Positioning System. Originally developed for the US Air Force, now it has touched almost every aspect of our lives. People use it to track their vehicles, assets, fleet, pets, and even absent spouses. The GPS uses a network of Satellites (GNSS) to determine the exact location, velocity, and time of the vehicle. The tracking unit sends a signal and based on which four satellites in orbit transmit the signal back, the tracker can hone on its respective location. New age tracking units are far advanced, and come with their own network connection, saving the location data in real-time. To know more about its history and evolution, check this elaborate article.
Different Types Of GPS Trackers For Vehicles
Based on what you need from your GPS tracker – apart from the obvious tracking and location information – there are different types of GPS trackers at your disposal:
- Portable GPS trackers: These trackers are wireless and can be used to track a wide range of things like bikes, skateboards, luggage, pets, kids, teens, the elderly, and more. Portable GPS Trackers are small and discrete GPS units with their own battery and can readily fit anywhere – from pockets to bags.
- OBD GPS trackers: OBD GPS trackers are called so, as they are installed or attached to the OBD II port of any vehicle. As they are connected to the engine, they can offer detailed information on vehicle and engine diagnostics, driving behavior. They are great to train a teenage driver in better and safe driving practices.
- Wired GPS trackers: GPS trackers with wires that are connected directly to the engine. If you are a complete layman, installing these devices will require technical help. Also, these devices run on the power from the engine. But they do come with an extra battery backup in case you want to confirm the location of your vehicle when it is in parking.
How To Track Your Vehicles Using GPS Trackers?
GPS trackers are known to provide high-end security to your vehicles. When there are so many theft reports around you, you can never be so sure about the safety of your vehicle. Here is a detailed step of how to track your vehicles using GPS trackers:
- Purchase one: The first and obvious step is to find an ideal GPS tracker for your vehicle. While looking out for an ideal one you can consider the following things:
- Price: Check the price of the device and ensure if it’s within your budget. Also, check the monthly subscription value.
- Battery: Always choose GPS trackers with a long-lasting battery for better tracking without worrying about charging them. Even better, you can opt for a battery-less GPS tracker I.e. OBD-II GPS trackers.
- Features: Always look out for GPS trackers that provide different features with basic location tracking. By features, we mean geofencing, customized alerts, vehicles maintenance reports, drivers reports, etc.
Easy to Install and Usage: Look for trackers that are easy to install and use.
- Active or Passive Tracking: For better tracking and real-time location updates you need to ensure that you purchase an active GPS tracker.
Or you can take the easy way out. After loads of research, we recommend affordable and comprehensive Family1st GPS solutions for all your tracking needs.
- Set Up And Install: Once you have bought the device, it is time to install it. Most devices come with instructions on how to install them. Here is a generalized version of it:
- Portable GPS tracker: One of the USPs of portable GPS trackers is installation – or no installation. All you need to do is take them out of the box, activate your plan, and keep them in your car. Just make sure that they are not placed under a metallic surface as it might disrupt the signal.
How To Track Your Vehicle Using GPS Trackers? 2022
- OBD GPS tracker: Take out the device from the box. Most often GPS providers also offer a separate sim card with the device. These sim cards are generally the most popular communication network in your area. You need to insert the sim in its dedicated slot and activate the device. Find the OBD II port, located under the steering wheel, and plug in the device.
- Wired GPS tracker: Setting up this one can be challenging. You need to connect this device with a constant power supply that delivers 12v to 24v DC. It is recommended that you take help from an expert for installing this.
- User Interface: The device you have just installed in your vehicle only records data. To access that data, you need an interface. Most GPS solution providers offer a user interface that you can access either through the website or an app. Once you open the website or download the app, you need to log in, activate the device, set up your preferences for alerts and notifications, and you are done!
- Test it: After the whole process ends, simply take your vehicle out for a drive and test your new GPS. Getting a first-hand experience of any new technology is always important.
GPS tracking devices for your vehicles are no longer a novelty but a necessity. They have a huge range of benefits that enhance your driving experience and keep you and your car safe. Once you know what you want your GPS tracker to do and how much investment are you willing to make, you can surely find one that perfectly fits your requirements.
Let us know in the comments about your experiences with choosing, installing, and using a GPS tracker for your vehicle!
How To Track How To Track Your Vehicle Using GPS Trackers? 2022