Skip to content

Is It Possible To Detect Mold With A Moisture Meter?

Is It Possible To Detect Mold With A Moisture Meter?

Is It Possible To Detect Mold With A Moisture Meter?

Mold not only has an unsightly appearance and smell but it can cause structural damage to surfaces, ceilings and walls. Over time this will reduce the lifespan of your home or business establishment’s quality which may lead you into deciding if outsourcing cleaning services would better suit both parties involved.

The quest for a clean home has become an obsession with many people. Moldy surfaces are often seen as the root of all their problems, and they will go to great lengths in order to prevent its appearance or spread around the house.

Mold can cause health issues such as allergies which makes them even more concerned about this problem than most sane individuals would be otherwise to say nothing of how harmful it could potentially be if left unchecked.

The popular belief is that you can tell how moldy your home or business is. A moisture meter will allow people to see if there’s any sign of wetness in their surfaces and substrates, which could suggest a higher number for the amount soil-based fungi present at one time than would otherwise be expected based on historical data about climate considerations alone. It is highly recommended to hire professionals for testing the mold in your property. You can also search for the term certified mold testers near me to find a good company near your location. 

How Moisture Meters Work?

Moisture meters work by measuring the amount of water in a given environment. They do this with an electronic sensor that is able to detect tiny amounts and fluctuations, making it perfect for detecting mold as well.

Types Of Moisture Meters

There are 2 types of moisture meter

  1. Pin-type meters

Pin-type meters are the most common kind of moisture content meter. They rely on two metal pins that penetrate into your test surface and calculate how much electrical resistance there is between them, which tells you about any moisture present in or near this area.

If one side has a low rating while another high then we can assume more dry materials will be found closer towards higher number because it takes less energy for water molecules to overcome their force when climbing up an electric current rather than descending back down again.

  1. Pinless meters

The sensor pad of a pinless moisture meter doesn’t have any metal contacts and so it cannot pierce the surface being tested. Instead, this device relies on an electromagnetic field created by sending out some waves that get disturbances in return when they come into contact with material under test; these numbers represent how many electrical charges are stored within said substance.

Might sound complicated but once you understand what’s happening all becomes clear.

Metal-specific sensors are more accurate for determining moisture content than general purpose ones because they’re able to pick up on smaller fluctuations in temperature.

Moisture meters only have one reading scale that can be used for one material. This means they are useless when it comes to other substances because they will just seem like blurry images with no conclusions drawn from them at all, similar as if you were using your telescope and trying to see what bacteria is living on our hands without any understanding of how these things work.

Is Mold Visible With A Moisture Meter?

Mold can’t be seen with a moisture meter, but you still need one to check for it.

Mold thrives on moisture, so by measuring the amount of water under a surface you can tell how much mold is present. And since different areas have varying levels due to natural factors like humidity or construction materials used in building projects.

A meter will also allow us to compare these readings and draw conclusions about what might be causing increased growth rates where there are higher degrees than elsewhere around your property.

Home Renovation: How to Get the Best Return on Investment 

Is It Possible To Detect Mold With A Moisture Meter?