Last night, when I was eating tasty spring rolls at dinner time, my dog Jimmy smelled them from outside the room. He came wagging his tail and kept looking at the spring rolls without blinking.
So, as I ate a piece of spring roll, Jimmy let out a soft groan and licked his chops. Why not feed him spring rolls too?
Then I thought, some human foods can be dangerous for dogs, but I could not ignore Jimmy’s yearning to eat Spring Roll.
Then I did some research and found out whether Dogs can eat Spring Rolls or not. And if your dog accidently eaten too much spring rolls, what should you do? Let’s know in this article:
Can Dogs Eat Spring Rolls?
Yes, dogs can eat vegetarian spring rolls, but in moderation. If your Dog is big, then you can feed him 1-2 pieces/bites. But if you have a small puppy, Spring Roll may upset his stomach and make him sick.
If you want to feed Spring Rolls to your Dog, you should first know Spring Roll’s ingredients. Which ingredient can be harmful for your dog if present in excess quantity in Spring Rolls? Let’s know about it in detail:
How to make Spring Rolls safe for your Dog?
If you want to satisfy your Dog’s cravings to eat Spring Roll so that his taste will be fulfilled without getting sick, then you have to take care of all these ingredients:
Mostly, vegetables and noodles are used to make spring rolls. After that, they are wrapped in rice paper. Although all these ingredients are safe for dogs, but still keep these things in mind:
Seasonings and Sauces: Spring rolls are often cooked with soy sauce, spices, or dipping sauces that contain onion, garlic, or other ingredients that can be harmful to dogs. So feed plain spring roll to your Dog, without adding any seasoning or sauce.
Filling Ingredients: Some common filling ingredients like pork and shrimp are fine for dogs, but don’t feed your dog spring rolls made with raw meat and fish.
Rice wrappers: Plain rice paper is generally safe for dogs, but some spring roll wrappers may contain added flavors, eggs, or wheat that dogs can’t digest well.
Fat content: Spring rolls are fried in oil and have high fat content, which can cause your Dog’s stomach upset.
And the most important: Cut the spring rolls into small pieces before giving them to your Dog. Because sometimes dogs eat big pieces too quickly and they can get stuck in their throat. So keep this in mind.
If you keep all these things in mind and feed Spring Rolls to your Dog, then your Dog will be absolutely safe.
NOTE: Do not feed too much Spring Roll to your Dog, feed him only in moderate quantity (3-4 pieces maximum), otherwise he may get sick.
You’ll Like It: 10 Dog Breeds for Every Type of Running Enthusiast
What Happens if My Dog Eats Spring Roll?
If your dog ate 1 or 2 pieces of spring rolls, nothing will happen to him. But if he has eaten more than normal quanity of spring rolls, than the following side effects will be seen:
Stomach Upset: Spring Roll’s high fat and seasoning content can cause vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain to your dog.
Pancreatitis: Too much fat level of spring roll can increase risk of serious inflammatory condition of the pancreas. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and loss of appetite.
Choking or blockage: If your dog eats large pieces of spring rolls too quickly, they may get stuck in his throat, which can cause choking, or create an intestinal blockage.
Allergy: Ingredients like wheat, onions, garlic can cause itchy skin, hives, swelling, vomiting in dogs with food allergies.
Your dog may also get Food Poisoning.
If your dog ate too much spring roll and shows any concerning symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or difficulty breathing, you should contact your vet immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can puppies eat spring rolls?
No, puppies shouldn’t eat spring rolls. And along with puppies, small breeds must also avoid eating spring rolls as they can be harmful for them.
Are There Any Specific Ingredients in Spring Rolls That Dogs Should Avoid?
Garlic, Onions, Chives, Shiitake Mushroom and Oil present in Spring rolls can harm your dog, so it would be best to avoid them.
Are there any safe spring rolls for Dogs?
Yes, dogs can eat spring rolls safely if made with dog-safe ingredients like rice wrappers, lean meat, veggies, rice noodles, and peanut sauce.
Why Are Spring Rolls Bad for Dogs?
Typical spring rolls contain many ingredients harmful to dogs that are mentioned above in the article which cause anemia, pancreatitis, allergies, and digestive issues in dogs.
Even though spring rolls seem tasty to your furry dog, but eating them more than the limit can make your dog sick. And the main reason for this is: the ingredients used in it, which I have mentioned above in the article.
And if you make spring rolls without the toxic ingredients mentioned above, they will be safe for your dog.
If your dog ate too much spring rolls, contact your vet immediately.
In conclusion, I want to say only a thing: Before feeding anything to your dog, you should research about whether it will be safe for your dog or not.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. You can consult your local medical authority for advice.