The best portable generator in 2021
Keep the lights on during a power outage. Charge your devices when there is no power. Hit the road like a lone wolf without the need for civilization. Does this all sound good? There are many different ways to use a portable generator, and we’re about to walk you through them all while showing you the some best portable generators.
It’s not a simple purchase: You’ll be looking at every little detail because you want the best backup solution for every situation. Let’s start right away.
1. WEN Portable Inverter Generator
Portable and powerful, this slightly larger model gives you all the amenities you need and a little more. If you go camping under the stars with your devices, WEN is able to charge them; this appliance is also excellent for heavy-duty jobs, such as power tools that are too far from outlets and small household appliances.
Turn on the Eco-Friendly switch and use every drop of energy. This model is also available in a slightly less powerful version (1250 watts) and a more powerful version (3100 watts), depending on your needs. Gas-powered and extremely quiet, your WEN generator comes with an inverter, overload protection and a two-year warranty.
- 1,600 watts
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Hushed operation minimizes noise; EPA III and CARB Compliant.
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburettor before shutting down.
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smartphones, tablets and laptops
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one AC 120V NEMA TT-30R RV receptacle, one 12V DC receptacle, two 5V USB ports, a digital load and fuel display, and a two-year warranty
Remember when you had clean and quiet portable power? The WEN 3,800 Watt Inverter Generator produces clean energy free of voltage spikes and drops without making all of the noise of a regular generator. Generate up to 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts of power. Our 212cc 4-stroke air-cooled OHV engine operates at an extremely quiet 57 decibels at quarter load, about as soft as a window air conditioner or the average conversation.
It limits its invasiveness while hunting, camping, tailgating and restoring backup power. The WEN 3800W Inverter Generator is also equipped with fuel shutoff. This feature turns off the fuel flow, allowing the generator to use up the remaining energy from the carburettor before automatically shutting down.
The 10 best portable generators in 2021
It helps fight the build-up and blockages caused by stagnant power inside the carburettor, minimizing maintenance while prolonging the unit’s lifespan. This generator limits total harmonic distortion to under 0.3 per cent at no load and 1.2 per cent at full load, making it safe enough to run laptops, cellphones, monitors, tablets and other vulnerable electronics. The lightweight design, along with the built-in wheels and folding handle, makes for easy portability, while the ultra-efficient 2.2-gallon tank provides over 8.5 hours of half-load run time.
Our fully-packed panel comes equipped with two 3-prong 120V standard household receptacles, one AC 120V 30A NEMA TT-30R receptacle, one 12V DC receptacle, two 5V USB ports and an easy-to-read digital fuel and load display. Maximize fuel economy by engaging the Eco-Mode switch.
This feature allows the generator’s engine to automatically adjust its fuel consumption as items are plugged into and unplugged from the panel, preventing the usage of unnecessary gasoline. The oil access cover makes for easy oil changes. Need more energy? Easily link up two WEN inverter generators using a WEN GNA50i 50-Amp 6000-Watt Parallel Connection Kit (sold separately) to share wattage between multiple units.
Low-oil and low-fuel automatic shutdown, indication lights, and overload protection safeguard both your generator and your electronics from damage. The included spark arrestor allows for legal use in national parks and campgrounds. And because this is a WEN Product, your inverter generator comes backed by a 2-year warranty, a nationwide network of skilled service technicians, and a friendly customer helpline. Remember when your generator powered your electronics safely and quietly?
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||23.2 x 18 x 20.1 inches|
|Item Weight||99.2 Pounds|
|Engine Type||4 Stroke|
|Engine Displacement||212 C|
2. Honda EU2200ITAG 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator with CO-Minder – 49-State
Small and mighty, it lives up to the hype. HomeBoss’s take on the portable generator put them at the top of our list for some great reasons. This model is easy to use and extremely quiet, so that you can use it all night long without worry. It has two three-prong outlet sockets, runs for up to 8 hours on a single gallon of gasoline, and fits easily in the corner of your car’s trunk.
If you’re worried about having a generator that is too loud or too difficult to move, a portable and easy-to-carry model might be the best choice for you. Perfect for storage and operation, this portable mini generator is the solution to your problems. Pack it in the car and drive to your family’s house so you can all enjoy it together.
- Lightweight and easy to move
- Extremely easy to use
- Ultra silent generator
- Ideal for TV, DVD, satellite, refrigerator, coffee maker and more
- Super quiet
- Lightweight – less than 47 pounds
- Fuel economy – up to 8.1 hours on 0.95 gallons of gasoline
- Inverter – stable power for computers and more
More power. Same legendary quality.
The new EU2200i offers 10% more power than the EU2000, allowing you to power more than you need, in the same compact and lightweight package. Whether it’s an extra refrigerator at home, a bigger saw at your construction site, a giant TV at your tailgate party, the EU2200i gives you the power to get more done.
3. Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 240
Whether you’re going off the grid or don’t want to waste a ton of fuel on your portable generator, you’ll find the Kalisaya to be a perfect solution. Equipped with a flexible four-panel solar panel and monitoring system to ensure good energy retention, car adapter, power adapter, and built-in lithium-ion battery, you get a sophisticated design in an easy-to-transport package.
Users’ popular uses include leaving the panel on the roof of your car when you are at the beach, passing the wire through the crack in the window. Charge your devices from your bedroom window sill. Powering small household appliances, and more. The system comes with a waterproof raincoat and an additional mini storage bank.
- Solar panel included
- Remote control via Android app
About this item
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station has been featured as the “Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors” by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
- EASY TO CARRY: This entry-level portable power station has a 240Wh lithium-ion battery pack, weighing only 6.6 pounds. The solid handle makes it easy to carry around for outdoor adventures such as Tent Camping, Road Trips, Backyard Camping, etc.
- VERSATILE POWER SOURCE: 1* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 200W 400W Peak), 2* USB-A ports (5V, 2.4A), and 1* 12V DC carport to charge your road trip essentials such as smartphones, laptops, cameras, fans, lights and so on. Pass-through charging is supported.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station can be recharged by the Jackery SolarSaga 60 solar panel. Its built-in MPPT controller enables the solar panel to operate at its max powerpoint to restore the power station at its highest efficiency. TWO alternative ways to recharge: through the wall outlet or the car outlet.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station, 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide.
Energy Your Life Outdoors Being outside no longer means being disconnected. With this powerful outdoor portable generator, you can quickly charge on the go. Take the lightweight Explorer 240 with you on home trips, excursions, or anywhere you need power.
Be the life of the party at the backyard barbecue or back door. Whether used as a camping generator in the country or as an emergency power source during a city outage, this all-in-one power station has you covered.
The best portable generator
Impressive specs: This portable generator builts with a powerful core and a 240Wh capacity lithium battery. This portable power generator is small, weighs 6.6 pounds, and measures 8 “H x 5” W. Built into its compact body are a DC Power Inlet, 2 USB Outlets, an AC Outlet, and a Car Port for proper compatibility.
When your Explorer needs a boost, plug it into a wall or solar panel; battery life ranges from 0 to 100 in approximately 7 hours. Portable Power You Can Trust The Jackery Explorer 240 is as safe as it is powerful.
Take this little generator with you on all your adventures and enjoy the peace of mind provided by surge and short circuit protection, temperature control, and a pure sine wave inverter. During an emergency, I use my portable electric generator as an emergency power pack.
Explorer 240 can even power a 40W CPAP machine for up to 5 hours. Go Solar You don’t need to feel out of touch while on the road. With the optional attached 50W Solar Panel (sold separately or built-in), you can leave your portable power generator to charge with the sun and return to a full battery you can use day or night.
The sleek and powerful movable solar panel opens and plugs directly into the Explorer’s DC Inlet, harvesting power to keep you connected. A 2-year limited warranty covers both the Solar Panel 50W and the Explorer 240.
4. Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500
Designed for camping and equipped for whatever you need to tackle in the woods, the Jackery 500Wh portable generator runs nicely while providing an LED flashlight for seeing in the dark. It equips with surge protection. This device is waterproof and can be used in the most adverse climatic conditions. A little cold snap will not affect your performance.
There are three ways to charge an Explorer 500: by household outlet, car charger, or solar panels. The 500 comes with cables for household and car charging, but you need to buy solar panels separately if you’re going down the green route.
The Jackery Explorer 500 portable power station comes with:
- 1 x 110V AC outlet
- 2 x 12V DC outlets
- 3 x USB ports
- Built-in carry handle
- Car charger cable
- AC power cable
- 518Wh Lithium-ion battery
- Charge controller
- Pure sine wave inverter
- Built-in LED flashlight
- 2-inch backlit digital display
You are ready to use solar panels (purchased separately); it comes with the full plug-in, so you don’t have to install the panels irritatingly. This model’s BMS improves battery usage, ensuring that every second you use is 100% optimized. Multiple sockets for small appliances, USB or cigarette lighter adapters for medium-sized devices. No fumes, almost no noise.
- Powerful LED flashlight for emergencies
- Protection against overvoltage
- Ready for solar panels
The Explorer 500 has multiple outlets and USB ports, so it’s possible to charge several smaller devices simultaneously depending on the power connections they require.
I love this because I can charge my phone and tablet with the USB slots while charging my laptop via the 110V AC outlet. I can leave them all charging in my tent, go for a long walk, and then return to find them all fully charged (or near enough).
It is also helpful in case of an emergency during a power outage or natural disaster. That’s when I would need to charge several electronic devices at once to ask for help if I need to quickly. It’s a lifesaving feature.
5. ACOPOWER 150Wh portable lithium-ion generator
It equips with outlets and included adapters, and your ACOPOWER generator is the perfect solution to your on-the-go power needs. Use the super bright LED control panel to operate your device; use solar power, a car adapter, or an AC adapter in your wall. Three ways to charge, endless ways to use.
For one of the lowest prices on our list, you can start your journey to energy independence. This model is practical and easy to store, weighing only three pounds. Users often buy multiple batteries and plug them into a small solar farm before storing them in their battery room; are you ready to reduce or eliminate your electric bill?
- Built-in high-quality lithium battery: It adopts 40800mAh high-quality battery, with long service life, high-temperature resistance, slim size and portable.
- LED display: the advanced LED display showing insightful information about unit control, power consumption status, etc.
- Ultra-bright LED panel light: built-in ultra-bright LED panel light. It is designed for room, camping, outdoor lighting and warning light, as well as
- Easy to carry: matching portable solar panels: B06WWQHV2T 3 ways to recharge your power station by home AC, car plug and solar panels (ASIN adapter: B073QMF11V)
- Easy to use: It comes with 2 AC outlets, 2 USB ports, 3 DC ports. It can be adapted to your different equipment such as a lamp, laptop, etc. Short time (7 hours) to fully charge.
The best portable generator in 2021
- ► Solid Solar Generator: a full charge of 4-5 hours with ACOPOWER 50w suitcase PV panel ASIN: B06WWQHV2T; other compliable ACOPower PV chargers are from 30w to 70w as options; another two ways charging by AC 110V wall outlet or DC car charger. No more accessories are needed. Start to use/recharge it in two seconds.
- ► Portable & Safety: lightweight of 6.7 lbs, mini size of 9.8 * 6.3 * 3.4is built-in high energy density lithium-ion battery, safer than average Li-ion battery; more vital storage ability, 1.5 times of other lithium batteries. It has short-circuited protection as well as overcharging protection and discharging protection, and a cooling fan is built in to avoid over-heating
- ► Versatile Output: charge regulator included, DC / AC inverter had, 2 USB ports for phones and Ipads, 1 AC 110v inverters for home electronics charging with low losses, 2 DC Ports for lighting (Please note: stop charging when you are going to use the outputs.)
- ► Outdoor or UPS: the portable solar generator was designed for camping and UPS. A capacity of 220wh for most of the camping devices. A full charge supports 5.5 hours laptop/tablet, 6 hours 30-60w mini fridge, 8 hours electric fan, 10 hours 20w light, 11 times iPad mini, 32 times smartphone, and 95 hours 2w electric razor.
customer questions and answers
- Question: Do the 150wh and 220wh generators can control/regulate the power from solar panels? Or do boards need onboard or separate controllers?
- Answer: 150wh and 220wh generators can control/regulate the power from solar panels.
- Question: Title says 60,000mAh, the description says 20,000mAh. Does anyone know the truth on this?
- Answer: They are not honest with you. A 3.7-volt capacity rating is much higher than a 12-volt rating. It may be close to 20 AH at best.
- Question: If you are selling a solar-powered generator, why not sell the solar panel and everything else you need in one package?
- Answer: Thanks for your advice. This sales model is mainly to consider the different needs of customers.
- Question: Can you plug a portable stove?
- The answer depends on the wattage of the stove. The output power for the acopower is only around 200 watts. I don’t know of any stoves that would be that low of a wattage. There might be some 12v appliances that would work, but they would be short power and not very useful.
- Question: How long to charge from car 12v dc?
- Answer: first time takes the longest, 3-4 hours, after that, a couple of hours.
- Question: Will this power a 12-volt electric chainsaw?
- Answer: that would depend upon how many amp-hours it takes to run your chainsaw. This power bank is rated for about 60,000 mah, which is about 60 ah. But that is a function of total output, not short or long term use. I don’t know how much your saw uses for sustained use. I would think that a chain saw would use quite a bit of juice, so I would be doubtful if it would, but it has powered everything I have used it on, so who knows. Friends, I would find out how much amperage it uses to power it. And email the manufacturer. They seem pretty helpful to me.
The 5 best portable generator in 2021
- Question: Can you use the inverter when charging from a solar panel?
- Answer: When it is charging from a solar panel ， you can use DC port ；
- Question: How long would this power an 11 watt LED bulb in a lamp?
- Answer: For a general answer, divide the watt/hour rating of the unit by the power requirement of the bulb. For your 11 watt bulb with the 220 watt / hour unit: 220wh / 11w = 20 hours. If you want to get specific, you need to consider more, and If your bulb is DC powered, the 12v regulator will have the least ‘loss’, probably over 99% efficient, so still close to 20hours. If you’re using the 120v inverter, there is probably more loss but probably over 90% efficient, so more like 18-19 hours. Of course, you don’t want to drain the unit completely, so say 17 hours on AC.
- Question: Can you charge this from a 12 v car system, even partially? I understand that it may not get up to full charge on less than 15 v input. – GB
- Answer: yes, you can, you are probably right about not fully charging it, but it will come close since your car puts out about 13.3-to 13.8v.
The best portable generator in 2021