How Much Does The AC Repair Cost?
An air conditioner helps to keep your home cool and free from harmful pollutants such as pollen. This is through the circulation and filtering of the air. It also reduces airborne irritants. This makes the home more conducive for people with asthma and other allergies. Occasionally, an air conditioner may become faulty and need some repair. The cost of repair is not always the same for all air conditioners and all kinds of faults.
According to HomeAdvisor, the average cost the repair an AC Unit in the United States is $336. The typical range is between $163-$520 while the high end of repairs can be as high as $1100. Certain types of repairs will also cost more than your average fix.
In this article, we give you a guide on the cost of repairing air conditioners. To begin with, let us look into some of the factors that determine the cost;
Size of the AC unit
Large AC units charge more repair costs compared to their smaller counterparts. Large units need more extensive work compared to smaller units. The size of the units is dependent on the size of the living space. The larger the living space the larger the AC unit required and the more the repair costs.
The efficiency of the AC unit
Ventilation systems below that ratio are not susceptible to repair. For the systems above SEER 13 repair costs are dependent on their efficiency. The more efficient the AC unit is the lower the average repair costs. AC units with low operational costs sometimes tend to have expensive repairs costs.
The older the unit the more expensive it will be. Most components will have been susceptible to a lot of wear and tear which will need a lot of replacements. It’s more likely that the replacements will average to over $5000. At this stage, it is wiser to buy a new one.
The extent of the damage.
The more damaged an AC is, the more the repair costs. This is much due to the time spent in repairing which adds to the labor charges.
- Different parts of an ac unit vary in price. Some parts only cost $100 while others can be more than $1000. You can repair an air conditioner can in several ways enlisted below:
- Compressor- If the air compressor breaks, you are looking at a much costlier problem which could cost up to $2000. The average range is $650 to $2000.
- Fan motor – range from $550 to $650.
- Filter- $50 to $200 to replace.
- Coi l- requires an average cost of $450 to $2,000.
- Unclogging of a condensate drain. This involves washing the pollen or accumulated dust on the condenser. Costs for this repair range from $100 to $250.
- Condenser – repair costs range from $475 to $600.
- Blower wheel – the cost of repairing the blower will range from $150- $200
- Thermostat – the cost of repairing a thermostat range from $50 – $500
- Circuit Board – $200 to $250.
- Air duct – ranges from $550 to $1200.
This could be a parts warranty or a service warranty. Parts warranty caters for the components but not the labor costs. The AC company hands them over after the sale. A service warranty saves the AC user from repair costs. The warranty covers a certain period after a previous repair or installation. The labor providers/contractors offer the warranty. Each of these warranties can last for about 5 to 10 years. This reduces the labor costs to a larger percentage for a particular period. Appliance Repairman: Pros & Cons of Career
Appliance repair technician rates
Different appliance repair technicians charge different costs per hour on different repairs. As seen above, some dealers offer labor warranties at a sale. This saves the owner on labor costs thus reducing the general repair costs.
The following are the average repair costs according to a type of air conditioner;
- Window air conditioners – $50 to $125.
- Air Source Heat Pump – $80 to $250
- Central air conditioners – $100 to $500
- Ductless air conditioners – $750 to $900
- Portable air conditioners – $80 to $250
So, how can you avoid common AC repair costs?
According to the experts from Hartman’s air conditioning repair company, regular maintenance is the only way to keep your AC in good condition, thus avoiding the repair costs discussed above. It’s always recommended that you have a professional AC technician inspect and tune-up your AC unit twice a year.
The following are the top three maintenance tips that can help to keep your AC in a good condition:
- Clean your AC – the accumulation of dirt, dust and other debris inside your unit can cause the AC to malfunction. Professional AC technicians normally clean the exterior and interior of air conditioners to prevent debris from causing them to break down unnecessarily.
- Inspection – after cleaning your AC the technician will inspect all the components of the system. In addition, the technician will do a test run to ensure that the system is functioning normally.
- Replacing worn-out parts – if any part of your system looks broken or worn out during the inspection, the technician will go ahead to replace them. Please note that replacing a worn-out or broken part during annual inspections is cheaper than emergency replacements.
If you have not performed these period AC maintenance practices, contact an experienced AC technician to do so as soon as possible. Routine AC inspections can prevent the need for AC repairs, thus saving you a lot of money in the long run.
How Much Does The AC Repair Cost?
This maintenance is carried out when necessary to solve faults in the air conditioning equipment.
It is usually one of the most expensive maintenances since it is carried out due to lack of foresight, and on many occasions, it is necessary to change an entire piece. Regardless of the type of failure, and in most cases, there is a protocol for action. He will determine the repair times according to the complexity of the same.
The first thing to do is to evaluate the operation of the device and review symptoms through the use of specialized instrumentation. Thanks to this, the system failure will be identified, and a preliminary repair procedure will be prepared. As a next step, you have to make a list of the spare parts required, a budget, and define the work schedules and the safety procedures.
Once you have the necessary spare parts, you can proceed to execute the repair procedure and perform the function test. At this point, it is essential to make the required adjustments to ensure optimal operation. The approximate cost of this service is around MXN 800.00.
As the name implies, this type of maintenance is done to predict any failure. For this, it is necessary to carry out exhaustive monitoring of all the air conditioning equipment parameters. It is essential to carry out periodic measurements such as pressure, temperature, voltage, amperage, and wind speed. Thanks to these measurements, possible degradations of the mechanism can be detected. Suppose any do not follow the expected parameters. In that case, possible causes of the degradation can be identified to eliminate and control them before a breakdown or significant deterioration of the system occurs.
After analyzing the equipment, it allows for identifying that equipment that is likely to break down in the medium and short term, which may affect operation. Among the main advantages of this type of maintenance are:
- Increases the life/availability of the operation of a component or system
- Enables proactive corrective actions
- Reduces interruptions in processes and equipment
- Reduces spare parts and labor costs
- Maintains product quality
- Improves staff safety and reduces environmental impact
- Promotes the achievement of energy efficiency
Its approximate cost can range from MXN 500.00 to MXN 1,500.00.
Preventive maintenance is the one that is given to the equipment before a fault appears. The most recommendable thing is to provide preventative maintenance with constant periodicity. It will help extend the device’s useful life and prevent breakdowns and errors in the system.
This type of maintenance consists of carrying out activities that help keep the air conditioning equipment in good condition. Among the main activities carried out are cleaning and disinfection, verification of measurements, revision of the electrical panel, an inspection of the refrigerant charge, verification of the drains, and verification of the absence of strange noises. These are recommended to be done every three months. On the other hand, try to lubricate the bearings and moving parts at least every six months and paint and restore the equipment once a year. This service ranges from MXN 350.00 to MXN 1,200.00.
For good results, the following activities are recommended:
- Disassembly of the necessary parts to achieve easy access to places where it is difficult to reach for cleaning.
- Vacuum cleaning of filters, fan, evaporator, and covers.
- Disinfection with chemical products of the filters, evaporator, condensate tray, and drain hose.
- Reassembly of all parts and placement of filters.
- I am carrying out measurements to verify the correct operation of the equipment. The following parameters are reviewed: fan speed, temperature, thermal jump, and remote control functions.
- Disassembly of parts necessary for proper cleaning and checking of elements.
- Aspiration of Condenser, Covers, and all the interior of the outdoor unit.
- Cleaning of the Condenser and Interior of the Cabinet with Chemicals.
- Verification of the correct operation of all the elements (reversing valve, fan, compressor, temperature sensors, starting capacitors)
- I am taking measurements: Voltage, Amperage, Temperature, Pressure.
Tips to follow to avoid air conditioning repairs
- The useful life of an air conditioner is given by the preventive maintenance that is done to the equipment, whether it is monthly, bi-monthly, semi-annual or annual; everything will depend on its use to it in a matter of hours,
- The extension of the premises to be air-conditioned and the model was chosen for the place must be adequate to heat it, avoiding failures such as not cooling or dripping. Suppose an air conditioner is a model such as the mini-split and it This installed in some room of the house. In that case, preventive maintenance will be easier and, at the same time, cheaper since keeping the equipment up to date will avoid higher and much more expensive repairs.
- Each air conditioner comes with its guarantee of the chosen brand; for this, it is necessary to consult with the seller about the specifications of the place to install the air and its dimensions for the best choice of equipment in terms of the BTUs necessary to cool the room as well as for the required guarantee according to the number of hours that the air conditioning will be on.
- Regarding the dimensions, it is a fundamental requirement to know how to choose between a mini-split and a 5-ton one that will be required for larger spaces and the flow of people. The guarantee is given by the manufacturer and can be invoked in the event of any damage within the established time limits.
How Much Does The AC Repair Cost 2022
- The preventive maintenance of air conditioning will avoid damage from the most straightforward such as dripping in the case of a mini-split, situations where it does not cool sometimes due to the simple fact of having the filter clogged due to lack of cleanliness, which according to the installed equipment can The owner of the house himself must carry them out because, in the window and mini-split air conditioners, the filter is removed, washed with water and liquid soap, and left to dry before placing it again.
How Much Does The AC Repair Cost 2022